Skip to main content area


Cookie settings
Left Navigation
Main Content Area

Weobley Workhouse

No Historic Environment Record entry, Ordnance Survey grid reference SO 3951 5208

The Weobley Poor Law Union was formed on 9 April 1836. It had a Board of Guardians with 24 members from 21 parishes that made up the Union.

The Union Workhouse was built in 1837 to the north of Weobley village. The Poor Law Commissioners authorised a budget of £3,000 for the project. The architect for the workhouse was George Wilkinson, who also built the workhouses at Ledbury, Bromyard and Leominster. The design followed the favoured cruciform design with an entrance block to the front and four accommodation blocks behind, leading off from a central block.

In 1874, the Board of Guardians were authorised to spend £900 on the erection of sick wards to the south-east of the site.

The workhouse buildings are now in residential use.

[Original author: Miranda Greene, 2003]