Skip to main content area


Cookie settings
Main Content Area

Ross-on-Wye Union Workhouse

Historic Environment Record reference no. 18942, Ordnance Survey grid reference SO 5997 2398

The Ross Poor Law Union was formed on 12 April 1836. It was overseen by a Board of 34 Guardians from 29 different parishes that made up the Union.

The Union Workhouse was built quite late, about 1872, to the south of the town. The entrance was off Alton Street; it had an infirmary and fever wards to the east and administrative and receiving wards (where people waited to be allowed admission to the workhouse) to the west.

The main block of the workhouse was of a corridor plan and three storeys high. The Workhouse Master's accommodation was at the centre of this block, with male accommodation to the north and female to the south.

To the west of the main building was a block which contained the dining hall, kitchen and laundry. To the north lay the sleeping and labour cells. The workhouse also had a schoolroom and a children's playground.

The workhouse later became Ross Poor Law Institution and then Dean Hill Hospital. Nearly all of the original workhouse buildings were demolished to build Ross Community Hospital in 1997.

[Original author: Miranda Greene, 2003]