Skip to main content area


Cookie settings
Main Content Area

Parishes: W (chapels)

Walford: Hom Green Church of the Paraclete

Historic Environment Record reference no. 27028, Ordnance Survey grid reference: SO 5801 2204

A chapel built by Bodley in 1905-6.

Walford: Withall Chapel

HER no. 23284, OS grid ref: SO 5969 2077

A former chapel built in the late 17th century, it is a one-storey, squared sandstone building with a tile roof. The windows are revetted and chamfered with mullions. The west wall is of two bays with windows of two and three lights. Between the windows is a blocked doorway with a basket-arched head. The south gable wall has a blocked two-light window at the right and a three-light window above. To the left is a doorway with a basket-arched head.

The interior is open to the roof with softwood boarding to most of the walls.

Walford: Meeting House

HER no. 36636, OS grid ref: SO 6040 2058

A Plymouth Brethren Meeting House just to the south of Howle Hill. It is shown on both the 1st Edition and current OS maps.

Walford: Mission Room

HER no. 36635, OS grid ref: SO 5976 2305

A Mission Room at Tudorville, near Ross-on-Wye. It is shown on the 1st Edition OS map, but not on the current edition.

Walford, Letton and Newton: Chapel

HER no. 30625, OS grid ref: SO 3890 7250

A chapel close to Coxall House that is shown on the 1st Edition and 1964 OS maps.

Walterstone: Methodist Chapel

HER no. 36629, OS grid ref: SO 3525 2558

A Primitive Methodist Chapel on Walterstone Common, which is shown on both the 1885 1st Edition and current edition OS maps.

Wellington: Chapel

HER no. 35773, OS grid ref: SO 4912 4815

A large and attractive chapel of red brick with polychrome dressings. The chapel is entered from a porch on the side, although a structure at the front may have been the original porch. Above this are two small rectangular windows with semi-circular headings.

Along the side are three large, round-headed windows indented into the wall; there are three more similar indents suggesting the possibility of further windows.

This non-denominational chapel is still used for worship today.

Welsh Newton: Methodist Chapel

HER no. 26479, OS grid ref: SO 5121 1754

An old stonework Methodist chapel that is now disused.

Weobley: Methodist Chapel

Weobley Methodist ChurchHER no. 35765, OS grid ref: SO 4045 5139

A Primitive Methodist Chapel on Hereford Street in the picturesque black and white village of Weobley. The building is of red brick from a nearby brick kiln at Broxwood. The double doors have a semi-circular window above and a large semi-circular headed window on either side. The roof is steep pitched and of slate.

This chapel was erected in 1845, but there is evidence of a Methodist community in Weobley prior to this date, as in Robson's Commercial Directory for 1840 it states that "there are chapels for Catholics and Methodists" (Weobley Museum, Church Box 2).

It is marked on the 1st Edition OS map of 1890.

Weobley Methodist Connexion also published a weekly newspaper, which gave attendance records for the various services, chapel anniversaries and rules of conduct for preachers, stewards and members. The rules for members stated that "Every member is required to attend the means of grace as regularly as possible, and support the cause of God at the weekly class meeting, &c, as liberally as their circumstances allow".

The newspaper also gave useful information on the capabilities of Methodists in the area. In a newspaper of 1892 it is recorded that "Baptisms could be performed at any service except Sunday Evening with notice being given and both parents present". The paper also informed its readers that the "Burials Act allows Nonconformists to officiate at funerals in parish graveyards and cemeteries with 48 hours notice being given in writing to the church clergymen"(Weobley Museum, Church Box 1).

(With thanks to Mike and Eileen Smith for their help in the research of Weobley Methodist Chapel)

Weobley: Mission Room

HER no. 35767, OS grid ref: SO 4155 5091

A Mission Room to the south of Weobley Marsh is shown on the 1885 1st Edition OS map, but not on the current one.

Weston Beggard: Baptist Chapel

HER no. 35699, OS grid ref: SO 5810 4240

At the junction of the A4103 Hereford to Worcester Road and the Roman Road is a small building that is marked as a Particular Baptist Zoar Chapel on the 1st Edition OS map of 1886. It is not mentioned on the 1840s tithe map and is not marked on the 1998 OS map.

Weston Beggard: Shucknall Chapel

HER no. 34518, OS grid ref: SO 5889 4270

On the 1886 1st Edition OS map for this area a building is shown as a Primitive Methodist Zion Chapel. It is situated near to Shucknall Court and is still marked as a place of worship on the 1998 OS map.

Weston Under Penyard: Baptist Chapel

HER no. 37143, OS grid ref: SO 6408 2262

A former Baptist chapel at Ryeford with a c.1682 foundation. It is of dressed sandstone with a gabled slate roof. To the front is a pointed arch with a chamfered lintel. A corbelled tablet reads: "Ricardus Cox 1682". To the left side of the building is a chimney. This may be the chapel that was registered in 1723 for use by Anabaptists.

Inside there is 17th century panelling with pulpit and communion rails.

The building is now Grade II Listed.

(Information taken from English Heritage's Listed Building listing description.)

Weston Under Penyard: Baptist Chapel

HER no. 37144, OS grid ref: SO 6406 2260

A Baptist chapel that stands in front of the earlier Baptist chapel (see above). It was built around 1862 and is of red rubble sandstone with yellow sandstone dressings.

Weston Under Penyard: Methodist Chapel

HER no. 21374, OS grid ref: SO 6412 2342

A Methodist Chapel near Bury Hill, which is shown on the 1838 Tithe Award for the area and on the 1888 1st Edition OS map.

Whitbourne: Bringsty Iron Chapel

HER no. 33756, OS grid ref: SO 7020 5530

A Church of England corrugated iron chapel built in 1891. It was last used for worship in the 1980s. It was later dismantled and re-erected at Avoncroft Museum, Stoke Heath, Bromsgrove.

Whitbourne: Methodist Chapel, Bringsty Common

HER no. 35762, OS grid ref: SO 7037 5477

A Primitive Methodist Chapel on Bringsty Common. It is shown on the 1888 1st Edition OS map but does not appear on the current edition.

Wigmore: Methodist Chapel

HER no. 16467, OS grid ref: SO 4142 6895

A Methodist Chapel on the east side of Broad Street, dated to 1865 and converted into a private dwelling in the late 20th century. The building is red brick with ashlar dressings and a slate roof with pyramidal finials.

It is of two bays and rectangular in plan with the main entrance at the front west end. The front has a central doorway with an arched head and ashlar plinth. On either side of the doorway is an arch-headed window.

A rectangular datestone above the door reads: "Primitive Methodist Chapel Erected 1865, We Praise Thee O Lord".

The building is now Grade II Listed.

(Information taken from English Heritage's Listed Building listing description.)

Wigmore: Methodist Chapel

HER no. 35565, OS grid ref: SO 3915 6816

A Methodist Chapel at Crookmullen to the east of Wigmore. The chapel is marked as a Methodist Chapel on the 1885 1st Edition OS map, but is not shown on the current edition.

Wigmore: Methodist Chapel

HER no. 35570, OS grid ref: SO 3815 6745

A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel to the south of Cross of the Tree which is to the south-east of Wigmore. This chapel is shown on the 1885 1st Edition OS map but is not marked on the current edition.

Willey: Methodist Chapel

HER no. 136671, OS grid ref: SO 3317 6844

Willey is a very small and isolated area in the north-north-west of the county, some 4 miles from Presteigne. The chapel is a small red brick building with yellow stone corner dressings and two arch-headed windows at each end.

On 15th March 1869 the Circuit Quarterly meeting gave permission for the Willey Trustees to build a new chapel, and the present chapel was built in the summer of the same year. The population of the area at this time was 158. The land for the chapel was purchased from Mr. F.L. Bodenham of Hereford. At this time the chapel belonged to the Presteigne Circuit, along with three other churches.
In 1870 the Society of Willey requested permission to establish a Sunday School, which was granted; the Sunday School went on to be successful. Willey had no permanent preachers but was instead under the ministry of travelling preachers from Knighton and Presteigne. Camp Meetings were held in fields nearby, and in the winter time a Christian Endeavour was held every Wednesday evening.

In 1937 the Willey Society was given Hergest Chapel after it became disused. The chapel was dismantled and moved to Willey using volunteer labour, taking ten hours. This building was then used for chapel teas and coffee evenings.

The chapel celebrated its centenary in 1969, and it was still in use in the 1980s.

(Information taken from Fred Bluck, Methodism in the Marches)

Withington: Whitestone Baptist Chapel

HER no. 26853, OS grid ref: SO 5638 4278

An early 19th century building of coursed sandstone with a hipped slate roof. It is rectangular in plan and sits at a right angle to the road. The building is of one storey. At the front there is one window above the porch with two windows on each side and to the rear.

The full name of this chapel is "The Strict & Particular Independent Baptist Church of John Calvin", and it was founded by a group of Non-conformists mainly for Westhide and Withington. Membership was limited to those who had been approved by the body of Deacons and who had undergone a full immersion baptism as adults. When the chapel was opened in 1821 it also provided accommodation for horses and carriages, ponies and traps, while their owners attended services. Among the founders were the Henleys, the Parsons and the Seabournes of Dodmarsh.

The original pews in the chapel were designed to be converted on weekdays into long desks, complete with inkwells, so that local children could come here to be educated outside of Sunday School.

It is a nice example of a plain but unaltered country Meeting House. The building is now Grade II Listed.

(Information taken from English Heritage's Listed Building listing description. Thanks also to Mrs. Frances Hawkins for information supplied.)

Woolhope: Methodist Chapel

HER no. 36603, OS grid ref: SO 6019 3606

A Primitive Methodist Chapel on Broadmore Common, which is marked on the 1885 1st Edition OS map but not on the current edition.