Main Content Area
Wergins Stone, Sutton
- SMR Number
- : 929
- Grid Reference
- : SO 5297 4397
- : SUTTON, HEREFORDSHIRE
Wergin's or Devil's stone is a rough unworked stone 4'10" high set in socket in irregular pentagonal base. Gough's descrip is of two stones, one upright and the other across it, probably the remains of a Cromlech in a meadow called Wergins. (3)
The second name probably derives from 1641-2 when both stones were mysteriously moved 240 paces from their original position. One required nine yoke of oxen to restore to its former site. (1)(3)(4)
Unworked stone 1.4m high and 0.6m x 0.3m wide and deep, socketed into irregular pentagonal base 1.3m across by 0.3m high. Lower stone could be cross base. (2)
Large stone probably designed at distant period as boundary. During Civil Wars it is stated to have been moved in night a considerable distance so that 12 yoke were hardly equal to restore it. Blount "a meer stone 12 ton weight removed AD 1642". In parochial collections "lies the stone so wondrously removed since called the Devils Stone." Britannia: "were placed two large stones for watermark. One erect, the other athwart. In late repairs c1652 removed 240 paces, nobody knew how, brought back to their place again, one required nine yoke to draw it". (6)
Photograph, description and measurements. (8)
- STANDING STONE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
Sources and Further Reading
- <1>SHE132 -
Bibliographic reference: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments. 1932. Inventory of Monuments, Herefordshire East, Vol II. Herefordshire East, Volume II. II,182.
- <2>SHE7839 -
Bibliographic reference: Ordnance Survey Record Card. 1969. SO54SW4. Ordnance Survey.
- <3>SHE6801 -
Bibliographic reference: Camden, William. 1586. Britannia (Richard Gough's 1803 translation, edition 3). 3, 86.
- <4>SHE13240 -
Bibliographic reference: Webb, J. 1879. Memorials of the Civil War. 2,333.
- <5>SHE3357 -
Scheduling record: 1983. Schedule. Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission (English Heritage).
- <6>SHE7964 -
Bibliographic reference: Duncumb, John. 1812. Collections towards the history and antiquities of the county of Hereford; Volume 2; Broxash Hundred, Ewyas Lacy Hundred and part of Greytree Hundred. Book in Hereford Library. II,.
- <7>SHE15753 -
Serial: Shoesmith, Ron (ed). 1967. Herefordshire Archaeological News No 6. Woolhope Club Archaeological Research Section. 6. Pages 2.
- <8>SHE16473 -
Bibliographic reference: Watkins, Alfred. 1927. Wergin's Stone. Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club. 1927. 84-85. 1927. Pages 84-85.
- Scheduled Monument 186: The Wergins Stone
Associated Historic Landscape Character Records
- HHE305 -
Large Compass Enclosure of the Landscape - Redefinition of Former Common Arable Fields/Meadow
Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57