Skip to main content area
    Keyboard Shortcuts |  Home |  About Us |  Contact Us |  Sitemap |  Help |  News | 
 
Left Navigation
Main Content Area

Monument Detail

Search Again 

Yatton Chapel, Chapel Farm, Yatton

SMR Number
: 924
Grid Reference
: SO 6269 3039
Parish
: YATTON, HEREFORDSHIRE

Walls of local sandstone rubble and ashlar roof covered with modern boarding. Chapel consisting of nave and chancel built about mid C12. At some point in C16-17 much of north wall fell or was rebuilt. Bell turret added or rebuilt c.1600, and there appears to have been a south porch. East wall rebuilt 1704. South doorway is good example of C12 work (of Herefordshire School). Fuller description, plan, photo. (1)
Unchanged since photo of 1932. (2)
Parish church until 1841, when new church built. (3)
The font has a very rough plain cylindrical bowl. It is probably of the same date as the chapel, ie mid-12th century. In 1924 it was lying loose in the chapel. (4)
Sketch of a former gallery found amongst papers at the Cathedral Library.(5)
Nave with cupola tower that in 1550 contained two bells. East end wall, two square leaded windows, three narrow lights in south wall. Entrance under zigzag arch. (6) (7)
Watching brief carried out in 1992 during rebuilding of a boundary wall demonstrated the presence of archaeological deposits associated with the chapel - see Event No. 44556. (8)

Monument Type(s)

  1. CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Files

    Sources and Further Reading

    Associated events

    Protected status

    1. Listed Building (II*) 154352: CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES NORTH OF CHAPEL FARMHOUSE
    2. Scheduled Monument 33: Chapel at Chapel Farm

    Associated Historic Landscape Character Records

    1. HHE547 - Small Compass Enclosure of the Landscape - Estate Division
    Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57