Skip to main content area
    Keyboard Shortcuts |  Home |  About Us |  Contact Us |  Sitemap |  Help |  News | 
 
Left Navigation
Main Content Area

Monument Detail

Search Again 

Benedictine Priory, Kilpeck

SMR Number
: 7125
Grid Reference
: SO 448 303
Parish
: KILPECK, HEREFORDSHIRE

1134 Benedictine priory founded as cell of Gloucester (1)
In 1134 William (son of Norman) successor gave church of St David and Chapel of St Mary to Abbey of Gloucester. A Priory cell was established about 350m SE of church .... (2)
Ch of St David granted to Glouc by Hugh Fitz William, the cell fd in 1134 being united to Glouc 1428. (6) Members of the archaeology section of the Woolhope Club visited the site on 18/03/1979. The earthworks that lie about 70 yards to the SSW of Priory Farm consisting of a slight platform and banks, are the possible remains of the priory. The ground slopes away to the SW of the house and there appears to be a fishpond towards the lower part of the slope, which is now silted, and dry. (7)

Monument Type(s)

  1. PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Files

    Sources and Further Reading

    Associated Historic Landscape Character Records

    1. HHE452 - Adaptation of Earlier Enclosure System - Contour Aligned System/Former Common Arable Fields
    Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57