Skip to main content area
    Keyboard Shortcuts |  Home |  About Us |  Contact Us |  Sitemap |  Help |  News | 
 
Left Navigation
Main Content Area

Monument Detail

Search Again 

Priory, Shobdon

SMR Number
: 7124
Grid Reference
: SO 4010 6284
Parish
: SHOBDON, HEREFORDSHIRE

c1140: Priory founded at Shobdon by Oliver de Merlmond. C1140 consecrated by Robert de Bethune of Hereford (1131-48). Priory moved to Aymestry, returned to Shobdon, finally settled at Wigmore 1179 (1)
After building church, de Merlimond founded small house of Augustinian Canons from the Abbey of St Victor in Paris beginning with prior and 2 canons, were moved several times before settling at Wigmore 1179 (2)
Remains of chapel to St Julyan visible in the time of Blount. (5)

Monument Type(s)

  1. PRIORY (12th Century - 1101 AD to 1200 AD)
  2. RELIGIOUS HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  3. CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Files

    Sources and Further Reading

    Protected status

    1. Registered Park or Garden (II) 1891: SHOBDON

    Associated Historic Landscape Character Records

    1. HHE54 - Large Compass Enclosure of the Landscape - Parkland
    Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57