Main Content Area
Benedictine cell, Livers Ocle
- SMR Number
- : 6535
- Grid Reference
- : SO 577 464
- : OCLE PYCHARD, HEREFORDSHIRE
Livers Ocle is on the site of an alien cell, Benedictine founded c.1100 and granted to Sheen Priory c.1414. The house, 2 storeys, built of stone and brick, retains two 17th century chimney stacks, but the rest of the house has been much altered and rebuilt. The outbuilding called the chapel has modern doors, windows and roof. There is now no evidence of its purpose or date. (1)
Benedictine alien cell founded c.1160 by Chandos, small with probably only a prior in the 14th century. In 1535 under Sheen, to which granted by Henry V. (2)
Derives name from abbey in Lyre to which granted after conquest - 1413 granted to Sheen, and at dissolution to Hoby. A chapel may still be seen among some farm buildings.(3)
Probably given to monastery of Lyre, monks had cell here with prior. tempe Henry I 1 hide. A small chapel on North side of road from Hereford - Bromyard. No services. (4)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (17th Century - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
Sources and Further Reading
- <1>SHE132 -
Bibliographic reference: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments. 1932. Inventory of Monuments, Herefordshire East, Vol II. Herefordshire East, Volume II. II.
- <2>SHE9690 -
Bibliographic reference: Knowles D and R N Hadcock. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses. 86-.
- <3>SHE11771 -
Bibliographic reference: Robinson, Rev C J. 1872. A History of the Mansions and Manors of Herefordshire.
- <4>SHE7964 -
Bibliographic reference: Duncumb, John. 1812. Collections towards the history and antiquities of the county of Hereford; Volume 2; Broxash Hundred, Ewyas Lacy Hundred and part of Greytree Hundred. Book in Hereford Library. II.
- EHE1670 -
Archaeological Monitoring at Lyvers Ocle, Ocle Pychard (Ref: SMR Event: 44558)
Associated Historic Landscape Character Records
- HHE317 -
Small Compass Enclosure of the Landscape - Reconfiguration of Former Common Arable Fields
Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57