Main Content Area
Benedictine cell, Monkland
- SMR Number
- : 6333
- Grid Reference
- : SO 4604 5768
- : MONKLAND AND STRETFORD, HEREFORDSHIRE
Cell for 2-3 monks of the Benedictine Abbey of Conches was founded at Monkland in the late C11. The nave of All Saints prob dated from this time but was rebuilt in 1856 using old material. Granted to the Carthusians of Coventry in 1399. Monkland seems to have been returned to Conches & after its supression c1414 was granted to Windsor College. (1)
Monk llan, endow of Benedictine establishment, a cell to abbey of Conches founded by Ralph de Toni, suppressed with alien priories, 1415. (4)
- RELIGIOUS HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and Further Reading
- <1>SHE267 -
Bibliographic reference: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments. 1934. Inventory of Monuments, Herefordshire North-West, Vol III. Herefordshire North-West, Vol III. III.
- <2>SHE9690 -
Bibliographic reference: Knowles D and R N Hadcock. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses. 87.
- <3>SHE10741 -
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1963. Herefordshire. The Buildings of England.
- <4>SHE11771 -
Bibliographic reference: Robinson, Rev C J. 1872. A History of the Mansions and Manors of Herefordshire.
Associated Historic Landscape Character Records
- HHE227 -
Adaptation of Earlier Enclosure System - Early Meadow Enclosure - L2 Linking Type
Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57