Skip to main content area
    Keyboard Shortcuts |  Home |  About Us |  Contact Us |  Sitemap |  Help |  News | 
 
Left Navigation
Main Content Area

Monument Detail

Search Again 

Walms Well, south of Herefordshire Beacon Camp, Ledbury

SMR Number
: 3733
Grid Reference
: SO 7605 3926
Parish
: LEDBURY, HEREFORDSHIRE

Walms Well, one of principal water supplies of camp (932).... its name is derived from old english "wielm" which means a spring. (1)
1622 reference to curative powers of Malvern springs. 1631 first reference to Walms Well. By mid C18 Malvern water becoming known more than locally. 1796: first guidebook for visitors (by Rev Barrett of Colwall) noted that Walms Well was popular among the country folk. c1820 neglected & approach so overgrown that its wooden bathing hut was withdrawn, a consequence of growth of Gt Malvern. Mid C19 guidebooks made no mention of "the other springs & wells like Pewtress, Walms or Nancys, all of which had long ago fallen into disuse. (1)
Brick lined, concrete covered & waterfilled, no evidence of antiquity. (3)

Monument Type(s)

  1. SPA (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  2. SPRING (Undated)

Associated Files

    Sources and Further Reading

    Associated Historic Landscape Character Records

    1. HHE373 - Woodland - Woodland
    Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57