Skip to main content area
    Keyboard Shortcuts |  Home |  About Us |  Contact Us |  Sitemap |  Help |  News | 
 
Left Navigation
Main Content Area

Monument Detail

Search Again 

Letton Court Landscape Park

SMR Number
: 31691
Grid Reference
: SO 3454 4607
Parish
: STAUNTON ON WYE, HEREFORDSHIRE

20th-century garden with earlier planting, greenhouses and walled garden. Burke 44 (1)
The original house was Old or 'Over' Letton Court, a large timber-framed house. Field names suggests it may have had a small deer park at some time. It is named as Letton Court on the county maps of Bowen (1775) and Taylor (1786). The 1833 OS 1" map shows a house next to Letton parish church, above the Townsend Mead. This house was probably built in the mid 18th century, and had shrubberies and plantations behind. It was rebuilt in 1863, in 'medieval style'. The house sits on double terraces (a flood prevention measure). A terrace runs W from the house towards the church and a large garden. The meadows have park-like planting, and there is a duck-shoot. The OS 6" map (c.1885) shows all these features. The house was gutted in a fire in 1924, and rebuilt to a smaller scale in 1925. A 1960 sale catalogue describes mature gardens with lawns, flower beds, flowering shrubs (especially rhododendrons), gravel drives and walks, a partly-walled kitchen garden with fruit trees, a large heated greenhouse, a vinery and other outbuildings. (2)

Monument Type(s)

  1. LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Files

    Sources and Further Reading

    Associated Historic Landscape Character Records

    1. HHE672 - Small Compass Enclosure of the Landscape - Reconfiguration of Axial Field Systems
    Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57