Main Content Area
- SMR Number
- : 205
- Grid Reference
- : SO 3296 6011
- : TITLEY, HEREFORDSHIRE
A small cell of the order of Tiron )1 of only 4 in the country - the other 3 in Hampshire) founded 1220-1 and dissolved 1391. Appears to have been granted to Winchester College. Suggested that Priory Cottage may be one of the buildings. Current C19 church (7094) replaces medieval church. Suggested that earthwork that survived on the S and W side of Priory Wood (and previously in the fields to the N and W of the church) was the precinct wall although not marked on maps of 1769 and 1840 (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)
Osbern fitz Richard held estate at DB . Alien priory (Tiron) within parish, suppressed 1414, passed to St Mary's College, winchester. (7)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and Further Reading
- <1>SHE7735 -
Bibliographic reference: Ordnance Survey Record Card. 1972. SO36SW13. Ordnance Survey.
- <2>SHE267 -
Bibliographic reference: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments. 1934. Inventory of Monuments, Herefordshire North-West, Vol III. Herefordshire North-West, Vol III. III. Pages 90.
- <3>SHE10741 -
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1963. Herefordshire. The Buildings of England.
- <4>SHE4027 -
Cartographic material: 1769. Titley 21436. Winchester Coll Archives.
- <5>SHE4028 -
Cartographic material: 1840. Titley 21438. Winchester Coll Archives.
- <6>SHE9690 -
Bibliographic reference: Knowles D and R N Hadcock. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses. Pages 102.
- <7>SHE11771 -
Bibliographic reference: Robinson, Rev C J. 1872. A History of the Mansions and Manors of Herefordshire.
Associated Historic Landscape Character Records
- HHE762 -
Small Compass Enclosure of the Landscape - Reconfiguration of Former Common Arable Fields
Last Updated: 23/07/2010 12:35:57